Eric L. Green | Green & Sklarz LLC
The focus of Attorney Eric L. Green’s practice is taxpayer representation before the IRS, Department of Justice Tax Division and state departments of revenue. He is a frequent lecturer on tax topics, including estate planning, and handling tax audits and tax controversies. Eric runs a weekly podcast found in iTunes called Tax Rep Network, and is the author of The Accountant’s Guide to IRS Collection and The Accountant’s Guide to Resolving Tax Debts: Offers-in-Compromise, Installment Agreements & Uncollectable Status. Eric is the creator, author and lecturer for the National Association of Tax Professionals Program in IRS Representation, which trains other professionals to handle IRS matters on behalf of clients. Mr. Green is a columnist for Forbes and CCH’s Journal of Tax Practice & Procedure.
Illustrative Client Cases include the following:
• Successfully represented taxpayers under criminal investigation, convincing IRS criminal Investigations to drop the case against the target taxpayers.
• Successfully represented a very large closely held business owner, ultimately working out a resolution with the IRS and New York State and having the IRS and New York state abate nearly $15 million in tax penalties
• Compromising a $1.1 million tax debt owed to the State of Connecticut for $50,000
• Compromising numerous federal tax debts with the IRS to allow taxpayers a fresh start from their previous tax nightmare
• Successfully resolving an outstanding federal tax debt of over $500,000 through an effective tax administration offer that allowed the taxpayer to keep much of his inheritance
• Obtaining innocent spouse treatment for the wife of a business owner, avoiding $400,000 in taxes owed by the husband’s business
Eric developed a national reputation by building a remarkable record of negotiating favorable settlements in thousands of civil cases against government agencies and has also been able to convince government agents and attorneys to forgo criminal charges and civilly resolve many cases. Attorney Green has served as adjunct faculty at the University of Connecticut School of Law where he taught law students to handle taxpayer representation matters in the low-income taxpayer clinic. Prior to practicing law, Eric served as a senior tax consultant for national and international accounting firms, including KPMG and Deloitte & Touche. Attorney Green’s commitment to professional excellence is demonstrated by his involvement in numerous professional organizations. He is a past Chair of the American Bar Association’s Closely Held Businesses Committee and has served as the chairman of the subcommittees on Business Succession Planning and Estate Planning. Attorney Green is a past Chair of the Connecticut Bar Association’s Tax Section and is a Member of its Estate & Probate Section. Eric is a Fellow of the American College of Tax Counsel, an organization in which membership is an honor reserved for those at the top of their chosen profession. The College’s members, called “Fellows,” are recognized for their extraordinary accomplishments and professional achievements and for their dedication to improving the practice of tax law. Fellows must be nominated by their peers for this honor. Self-nomination is not permitted. Each nominee must satisfy the established criteria and pass a rigorous screening process before he or she becomes a Fellow. Attorney Green is admitted to practice in New York, Connecticut and Massachusetts and is a member of the United States Tax Court Bar. Attorney Green is also a member of the Connecticut and Massachusetts Bar Associations, as well as the American Bar Association. Attorney Green received his Bachelor of Business Administration degree in Accounting with a minor in International Business from Hofstra University and is an honors graduate from New England School of Law. He earned a Master of Laws in Taxation from Boston University School of Law.